There are major issues holding back online education, but with recent technological and organizational advances, we may finally be able to solve them. Learn how Motion Design School is using blockchain technology and the Metaverse to change the way students learn design.
As students of life, we are continuously in the process of learning something. The key is to spend your life acquiring the knowledge that will bring you the maximum benefit.
Unfortunately, this is far harder than it sounds. Learning the right information at the right time is challenging and a number of problems tend to come up:
1. Outdated Traditional Education: Public and private institutions are outdated and their approach to education has not changed at all in the last 150 years. As young students, we’re given a lot of mixed information, but likely use less than 1% of it outside the classroom. Millions of people spend their time learning skills that are totally impractical. Online education is also hindered by conventional teaching methods that haven’t advanced with the times and don’t scale well.
2. Poor Quality of Learning Material: The Internet is packed with poor quality information that can’t be verified for accuracy and relevance. Thousands of people pretend to be industry experts while misleading their students. In many cases, the information provided is partly made up or only factors in a single perspective.
3. Lack of Personalised Learning: Educational programs are designed for a great many people at once, which is a mistake. Each of us is special, and we all need an individualised approach based on our abilities. Certain information will be useful to a particular person, and programs need to be adapted for these differing needs.
4. Difficulty Gaining Relevant Employment: It’s sad to say, but only 10% of people work in the profession of their choice. Many find it difficult to find a job because of the competitiveness of the personnel market. This also happens when professions become outdated and are no longer relevant to modern trends. Another problem is professionals overstating their skills or buying diplomas/certificates to confirm their knowledge.
5. Minimal Practice: Most students are taught theory and often have no opportunity to test it in real life until they are on the job (and that assumes they get a job). This is a *huge* impediment to their growth, as applying knowledge in practice is the most important aspect of training and the only possible way to prove the value of the information collected.
6. Poor Student Motivation: This is probably the most essential problem to solve. The system has not been designed in a way that helps students connect the topics they’re learning to future outcomes, and motivation is hurt as a result. Some students even find it difficult to get out of bed and start a new day. Thousands of individual programs can be created, but if a person is not motivated, then there is no progress.
These are the main barriers that can be faced in the process of study. Fortunately, methods for solving these problems have already been developed, and many educational companies are transforming education of the future. One striking example is Motion Design School.
Want to know more about the evolution of the educational system? The founder of MDS, Iaroslav Kononov, is explaining everything on his TikTok. We cannot recommend enough that you follow him there, as he will be discussing this and lots of other interesting topics in detail.
Digitising Education is Step #1
We have long lived in a digital era where information can be obtained in just a second from any corner of the earth. Almost everything has been digitized.
With the advent of the Internet and Web 1.0, we could get information from anywhere in the world. Web 2.0 made it possible to share information and socialize thanks to social networks. Not so long ago, Web 3.0 emerged providing an opportunity to own digital content using proof of ownership. All this was made possible with blockchain and crypto technologies.
Another very important aspect of Web 3.0 is the metaverse. In a nutshell, the metaverse is a digital representation of a physical world. Popular clothing brands are already transforming their models into 3D renderings and making them available in the metaverse.
The commercial opportunity for making the Metaverse a reality might be worth over $1 trillion in yearly sales. You can think of it as a new form of eCommerce that can compete with Web 2.0 companies with a market value of around $15 trillion at the moment. Due to this potential, businesses like Facebook have decided to shift their focus to the Metaverse, which may speed up the process of getting other Web 2.0 behemoths onboard.
All well-known businesses understand this need and have begun to transform and move to Web 3.0. This will lead to massive growth in this niche as each industry attempts to find their way into this new medium.
Metaverse technologies offer us completely new opportunities for online education. From the comfort of your own home, you can find yourself anywhere in the world, with a strong feeling of presence and interaction that you couldn’t previously get in Zoom calls or gaming.
What if you could pass a driving test without leaving the house and obtain a verified confirmation? That’s just one of the many possibilities we’re dealing with here.
Using Decentralization to Verify Educational Content
The introduction of blockchain technologies leads to a new focus on decentralization. There is no central control office and the system is managed by all users.
It also means that verification has to be built into the system in order to guarantee the quality of the platform. With decentralization, students can work in tandem to verify educational content, but without repeat verifying. This empowers us to have more confidence in the material we’re learning. And this naturally leads to the establishment of a DAO, or Decentralized Autonomous Organization, a governance principle that’s going to make it much easier to perform this task.
DAOs As the Future of Governance
DAOs are a kind of community that make decisions for the better of the platform or network. Imagine that each client of the company could make decisions and influence its development – that’s what a DAO is.
Organising a DAO for a platform solves many problems:
Personalization: Each client of the company is free to run votes where community members can make decisions on the company’s improvement. This way, a company becomes more flexible as the content it produces gets customised based on actual audience requests. This creates a strong communication between the company and the users, granting a clear understanding of what needs and intentions each one has.
Certification: The problem of confirming the skills of the future verified specialists is addressed with the introduction of NFT certificates that users receive upon completion of courses. The assignments will also be verified by all members of the system, creating a scalable system for managing proof of skills. You can get an NFT certificate by completing practical tasks thus getting a fundamental advantage when being employed.
Practical assignments can also be converted to NFTs. Both the employee and the client are given credit by the community, and the community assumes responsibility for the result. Moreover, the community creates jobs within the system, thereby allowing for an accelerating increase in relevant roles.
Giving Students Practical Experience: Motion Design School allows students to use their knowledge immediately on practical assignments. This helps them apply to jobs and have great portfolio pieces to prove expertise to clients. Additionally, students may become part of the platform Metaverse where unlimited opportunities for creators and users open up.
The Metaverse is part of the DAO and a community-curated network where users create their assets and new interaction experiences. Imagine the locations like a lecture hall, gallery, fashion stage, or concert stage, surrounded by a realistic outside environment. Here, unlimited interactions between the users are occurring since the network is utilizing the best technologies available nowadays.
The Metaverse is an environment that is constructed by a community for people and businesses. Consumers can build a building and create an interior. Or hold a concert on stage without leaving the house. Businesses can create stores and empower experiences that will be available for millions of people at the same moment, advertise and sell their products.
Motivating Students: The number one thing every platform needs is personal motivation to learn. Otherwise, no one will use the platform and none of the other developments matter. Motion Design School has considered several different aspects.
- Quick wins
- Financial rewards
Quick wins. For this, we introduce our own cryptocurrency and Learn to Earn technology. Users will be able to get real money in exchange for performing activities within the company, starting with a simple video watching and ending with the creation of NFT assets for the Metaverse.
Gamification. We introduce the game mechanics making the educational process more fun through reward systems and interaction with other users.
Competition. A competitive environment gives a huge boost to personal growth. Nobody wants to be last on the list, right? Thanks to the emotion battles technology, there will be competitions between users based on the principle of tournament tables with winners and losers. The winners will be granted rewards and real money.
Financial Rewards. During the educational process, users open an earnings cycle thanks to the following options:
- Token cryptocurrency for activities
- Creating NFT Assets
- Creating Metaverse
The Future of Education is Online… and Very Scalable
Due to the rapid development of technologies and the community-driven approach, an endless cycle of learning development is created. The continuous improvement of skills is paramount to the success of the platform and the students on it.
Let’s outline what the education of the future is:
- Digitalization with Metaverse combined with feel of presence
- A community-driven approach that allows you to influence the company’s development
- NFT certification and proof of skills (government also)
- Applying knowledge in practice within Metaverse
- Competitive environment and rewards system
- Tokenization of the business and own cryptocurrency
- Proof of ownership for the assets created in the learning process
But as we constantly emphasize, nothing is better than practice, so let’s look at some of these innovations using the example of the Motion Design School educational company.
Like what you just read?
Subscribe to MDS Newsletter and you’ll get our updates sent right to your inbox.
It’s our job to stay on top of the latest trends and keep you in the loop.
What’s your favorite SM channel? Because we cover them all.
Join in based on what interests you:
2.8K followers and growing
Twitter is where we talk crypto, NFTs, Metaverse and latest MDS developments in this space.